Mars Buttfield-Addison (née Geldard) is a computer science and machine learning researcher, currently working towards her PhD in Computer Engineering at the University of Tasmania and CSIRO. Her research work focuses on improving the accuracy, reliability, and performance of radio/radar-based satellite and space debris tracking systems. On the side, she does a bunch of other stuff including, but not limited to:
- writing books, such as the 2019 Practical Artificial Intelligence with Swift and the upcoming Practical Simulations for Machine Learning.
- running conferences, such as the annual AU/NZ Apple developer community conference /dev/world and the online conference EveryWorld.
- creating STEM educational materials, such as the Swift Rockets code-along activity for National Science Week 2020 and the Resource, Respond, Rescue! Minecraft: Education Edition scenario for the CoRE Learning Foundation.
- serving on the board of industry bodies for the technology sector, such as the AUC and previously the ACS.
- speaking at conferences all over the world.
- working at the University of Tasmania's School of Information and Communication Technology as a teaching assistant, research assistant, and private tutor.
Much of her freelance development work is uncredited or under NDA but she can usually be found helping out on whatever projects Secret Lab or the team behind Yarn Spinner are working on.
- PyCon Australia (Sydney 2019, Online 2021)
- PAX Australia (Online 2020, 2021)
- GDC (Online 2021)
- linux.conf.au (Online 2021)
- InfoShare (Online 2020)
- National Science Week (Online 2020, 2021)
- Software Architecture Conference (New York 2019, Berlin 2019, New York 2020)
- The Swift Alps (Crans Montana 2019)
- TensorFlow World (Santa Clara 2019)
- Artificial Intelligence Conference (San Francisco 2018, New York 2019, San Jose 2019)
- NZGDC (Wellington 2019, 2021)
- AWS Community Day (Melbourne 2019)
- O'Reilly Open Source Conference (Portland 2018, 2019)
- Strata Data Conference (London 2019)
- Reinforce AI Conference (Budapest 2019)
- CreateWorld Conference (Brisbane 2018)
- /dev/world Developer Conference (Melbourne 2018)
Mars can be found on Twitter or GitHub as @TheMartianLife, or contacted via email. For professional information please see her resume.
Came here looking for the other Buttfield-Addison? Mars’ husband can be found at hey.paris.